Thursday, February 19, 2026

Getting creative- propmaking

 

Hello!

Because I don't think it's realistic (or legal) for me to acquire a cigarette for my film opening, I am determined to make one myself. This prop is extremely important to the general message of my project, as a young girl depicted smoking is the epitome of irresponsibility and early maturity. However, as I am a young girl myself, I'll get arrested if I try to buy a pack (because I'm sure the cashier knows every trick in the book, regardless if it's "for a film"), and I don't know anybody who smokes or is at least trying to quit smoking. Because of this, I need to get creative. It may be for the better that it looks a little homemade anyway, since I'm pretty sure showing a minor smoking on film is a felony. Regardless, enjoy this tutorial! It could be helpful for film projects, halloween costumes, or withdrawls.

Here is what you need:

1 index card

Tape

Short fingernails

Step 1:

Take an index card and flip it so that the lined side is upright and the shorter side is towards you.

Step 2:

Take a piece of tape and set it at the end of the short side farthest from you.

Step 3:

For the cleanest possible look, fold a small portion of the index card along its width.

Step 4:

Roll along the length of the index card until it is a small tube roughly the size of a cigarette.

Step 5:

Tape along the end to ensure it won't unravel.

DISCLAIMER!!!! ****not a real tabacco product


And you're done! It looks realistic enough to maintain the seriousness of the message while not committing any crimes against the state or either of my lungs. The paper translates great on camera and hopefully provides you with the effect you're looking for. Tune in next time to follow my production process!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening and CCR Links!!!

  Hello!!!! Here are all of the final links! Here lie all of the blood sweat and tears from the past 8 weeks in three little blue lines. I h...