Tuesday, January 27, 2026

Drama Film Openings


Hello!

I am researching different opening scenes from Drama films. Although I am thinking of a specific approach, I appreciate how Knives Out, Moonrise Kingdom, and Uptown Girls navigate their introductions into their narrative worlds each in unique ways.

Knives Out highlights specific items through the house of Harlan Thrombey. These objects have a certain creepy quality and mystery to them and are paired with classical music. This creates a strange tension before showing Thrombey's suicide when walked in on by a housekeeper or a maid. This throws the audience directly into the story as they witness a crime scene and a mystery within the first few minutes.

  

Similarly, Moonrise Kingdom also highlights the setting. By panning around a large, dull, empty house, the audience sees the main character's household through her eyes and establishes the disconnect between the girl and the rest of her family, emphasizing her quirks and sullen nature.

 

Uptown Girls uses a more fun approach, utilizing a voice over of a fairytale to throw the audience into the main character's magical and "perfect" lifestyle. As she gets ready after taking a nap, the luxury of her life is demonstrated through her style and the carelessness of the state of her apartment. 

    

All of these approaches rely heavily on setting and costuming to characterize the protagonists within the first 2-5 minutes. I definitely want to adopt some of these strategies to use for my own film. Here are the links to each of the film openings so that you can view them yourself. Updates to follow!

Knives out- 

ENT 4U. (2020, June 2). OPENING SCENE | KNIVES OUT [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1CW6zMlZaI

Moonrise Kingdom-

Blanco, I. H. (2014, June 1). Moonrise Kingdom Intro FFM [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkv8ipgsmfU       

Uptown Girls-

KinoCheck. (2020, January 13). THE UPTOWN GIRLS Movie (2020) [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WybszDOC3tQ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening and CCR Links!!!

  Hello!!!! Here are all of the final links! Here lie all of the blood sweat and tears from the past 8 weeks in three little blue lines. I h...